For online businesses, websites and bloggers alike, ranking high in the search engines is a must. Organic search results are relevant Web pages that appear on search engine results pages (SERPs) in response to keyword search terms. Results are non-biased and not generated based on paid advertising. When your site ranks high in major search engines like Google, Yahoo! and Bing, your site’s URL, title and description are visible on results pages. Obtaining a solid search engine position implies that your website is an authoritative and popular online source.
When you rank high in the search engines, your potential increases for:
- Increased traffic
- More page views
- More customers, readers or followers
- Better conversion rates and new leads (e.g., newsletter signups)
- Increased business and ROI (e.g., new sales)
Want to increase your rankings? Follow these 8 SEO best practices:
1. Compelling copy: Google rewards websites with content that is frequently updated, unique, fresh and original. Search engines need to know what your Web page is about.
2. Diverse link building: Promoting and identifying your website through link exchanges with other reputable websites improves your positioning. Submit your content to directories.
3. Inbound links: Acquiring links from other sites that link to your site increases your credibility as a reliable source, thus driving your website higher in search engine results.
4. Internal links: Linking to your own landing pages is good SEO practice. This helps maximize the relevancy and ranking of a good internal Web page. Make sure to incorporate proper anchor text for keywords you want to rank for.
5. Social Media: Actively joining social media is an effective way to market your website and promote links to your content. Social media is a great avenue for businesses to spread the word about their company. Stay on top of popular online marketing trends!
6. Keywords: Make sure your keywords match what potential customers are typing into their search queries. If you want to rank for specific keywords, then create special landing pages. These landing pages reduce high bounce rates because visitors will be directed to individual Web pages that meet their specific search criteria.
7. Website usability: Design your website so that it is user friendly and easy to navigate to prevent visitors from leaving. Your Web pages should be organized so that keywords with the highest conversion rates are showcased.
8. Audit: Review your website and decide if it needs to be re-indexed. A thorough review includes checking old Web pages, outdated or duplicate content, broken links or irrelevant meta descriptions and HTML page titles. Updating your website may include a redesign and additional content.